Greenagers is hiring a Farm Crew Leader
Greenagers envisions a culture of community where young people work together to restore forests and fields, grow food, and build spaces that support natural systems and sustainability.
To realize this vision, we work to get young people outside; working with their hands; talking to each other and their elders; listening, leading, and learning. We believe this work is foundational and the heart of a culture that values education, stewardship, and community.
Featuring a historic house dating to 1744 and barns dating to the mid-19th century, April Hill Education and Conservation Center serves as the headquarters for Greenagers and a resource for community gatherings and education. April Hill Farm is the primary stewardship enterprise on the nearly 100 acres comprising the property. Conserved in perpetuity, April Hill has nature trails, vegetable gardens, orchards, pastures and hayfields, and abuts the Appalachian Trail–linking it to the Berkshire-Taconic range and beyond.
Farm Crew Leader:
The Farm Crew Leader is part of the core farm team at April Hill Conservation and Education Center, working closely with the Farm Director and Farm Crew Coordinator. Together we manage approximately 1 acre of primarily annual vegetables, herbs, and flowers with smaller amounts of perennial crops like asparagus, raspberries, strawberries, and pollinators. We primarily work on a hand-scale with limited use of tractors for larger projects around the property. Our food is distributed through organizations in Berkshire County working to relieve food insecurity, through a staff produce share, and a local farmer’s market.
Working on the farm requires working within a collaborative group setting. Some prior farm crew experience is preferred, but this is a great opportunity to gain management skills. A willingness to learn/try new things, a sense of humor and the patience to collaborate with nature is helpful.
Farm Crew Leader responsibilities:
- Participate in all aspects of farm-related tasks such as direct seeding, transplanting, weeding, and harvesting crops.
- Care for greenhouse seedlings and high tunnel crops.
- Comfortable with driving our vehicles: passenger vans, varied trucks, and Kubota tractor (we will teach/train as needed).
- Take part in training and conversations surrounding equity and inclusion within farming and our community.
- Encourage the involvement and inclusion of all crew members.
- Rotating Saturday chore availability is required.
- Must be 21 years of age (this is a requirement of our vehicle insurance).
- General work hours are Mondays – Fridays, 8am – 4pm with some exceptions. We are respectful of your time and rarely work more than 40 hours per week in the high season.
- The Farm Crew Leader rotates working a weekly farmer’s market on Thursday. The start date is flexible, but priority is given to someone that can work a full season (through October). Likely part-time hours are available through December, if interested.
- $18-$21/hr DOE
- CSA share (vegetables & eggs)
- On-site housing option
- Numerous organizational staff training sessions are available. Past training has included: Wilderness First Aid, Game of Logging chainsaw certification, and anti-racist education through the People’s Institute for Survival and Beyond and Soul Fire Farm.
Please email a resume or an email of interest to Sarah our Farm Director: firstname.lastname@example.org
Greenagers is an equal opportunity employer. Greenagers does not discriminate on the basis of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identification and expression, age, physical or mental disability, marital status, genetic information, veteran status, being a member of the Reserves or National Guard, status as disabled or Vietnam Era veteran or status in any group protected against discrimination by federal, state, or local law. We welcome applications from BIPOC, LGBTQ+, women, and veterans. Greenagers is actively engaged in ensuring its programs are welcoming to all, and in increasing diversity, equity, and inclusion in all aspects of its work.