new agriculture programs
We are very excited to announce two new Agriculture programs at Greenagers. In addition to our Agricultural Apprenticeships (now accepting applications!), we now offer these two programs for youth and young adults looking to dig deeper and get involved with local farming and gardening and conversing about food justice and our local food systems. Both programs are led by Jen Salinetti, Agriculture Program Coordinator at Greenagers and the co-owner of Woven Roots Farm in Tyringham, MA.
1. Food & Farming: A Greenagers After-School Initiative
This 6-week program is designed to immerse you in practical skills for growing food, connection with nature, and critical thinking about our food system.
- When: Tuesdays and Wednesdays, May 1st through June 6th, 3-5 pm
- Where: Project Sprout, Monument Mountain High School
- Who: Open to all high school students
2. Young Farmer Education Series: Exploring the Agricultural Landscape of the Berkshires
Join us for a weekly exploration of local agriculture. Visits include: Tours of area farms and historical sites, Q&A with local farmers and historians, and on-site, hands-on agricultural experiences.
- When: Wednesdays, 1-5 p.m., July 11, 18, 25 and August 1, 8, 16, 22, and 29.
- Where: Meet at the Greenagers office: 342 North Plain Rd., Housatonic (North Plain Farm).
- Who: Participants must be 15-22 years old.
Greenagers establishes $2,000 Sustainable agriculture scholarship
Through the generosity of an anonymous donor, Greenagers is pleased to offer a scholarship to a graduating senior or young person under the age of 25 pursuing secondary education or work experience in the sustainable agriculture field. Special emphasis is placed on integrated practices and ecological farming. It is the donor’s intent to further the understanding andpractice of truly sustainable agricultural practices in our communities. The application deadline is April 28th.
Eligible applicants must reside in Berkshire County and must be pursuing full-or part-time education at a university, accredited educational program, or have a comprehensive apprenticeship plan. Applicants with a combined interest in small/medium scale agriculture as well as integrated culinary and agricultural pursuits are also encouraged to apply.